[kde-edu]: OT: Konqueror in Education

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 13 14:45:45 CEST 2008

Hi Ralf,

On Friday 13 June 2008, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> in school we use KDE 3.5.x (based on Skolelinux+LTSP).
> Luckily, many educational tasks are platform independent nowadays
> (e.g. in form of Java applets).
>
> Of course we also install Mozilla Firefox (automagically reckognizing
> JRE) - but most users start Konqueror by default - and if there is no
> experienced around, they will fail to open their Java pages.
>
> Manually, they could set the java path to /usr/bin or /usr/bin/java to
> make it work - but isn't there an easier way to do so for all 1000
> pupils in a row
> - maybe in /etc/kde3?
> - or spread/alter existing files in ~/.kde3?

This usually works out of the box without any change, i.e. the default for the
java command is just "java" and the java executable is usually in $PATH

Is it probably pickung up a wrong executable, e.g. not the one in /usr/bin but
one in a more local directory which actually isn't a working Java RE?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring