[kde-edu]: koffice dependency for kdeedu

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Jun 3 22:48:01 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 3. June 2008 09:32:44 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was surprised to learn that there is a KOffice dependency in kdeedu.

> There is a Marble Koffice flake in Marble code and I am not sure this is
> the right place for it. I'd like to discuss this with Koffice people as
> they are involved as well. I don't know much about it as nobody explained
> this but in general, having modules depending from each other that way is
> not smart.

AFAIK its not allowed by KDE policies; major modules should not have
inter-dependencies.
But I don't think it has to be a problem.
The long term planning of KOffice is something that may come to the rescue
here,  KOffice has a separate libs dir and Simon is currently linking against
those libs.  Several ODF related libs are planned to be moved out of KOffice
into a separate module (some even speculate about kdelibs).  These libs can
then be used by other modules very much like kdepimlibs.  The marble shape
will certainly be able to use those instead of depending on koffice.

Unfortunately the 2.0 release of KOffice is going to happen first, and we
won't be able to give an exact timeline on when these libs are going to be
available for marble.

The solution I suggested earlier for this issue was to make the marble-flake
plugin use the svn-extern to link to the flake libs as long as they are not
yet released.
I think this still is the best solution to avoid a lot of problems for all
parties and long long recompiles for Simon. (depending on 2 modules that
change can't be easy).

Maybe with the new data point that Annma brought up (unwanted module
dependency) we should re-evaluate this option?

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander