[kde-edu]: [was: Re: Linker error in marble tests)] - Communication problems

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Sat Jul 12 10:09:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am not sure what this is all about but let's be clear.

On Saturday 12 July 2008 04:11:07 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> concerning the linker error that would come up when building kdeedu
> 4.0.85 with unit tests enabled:
> The problem was the missing export of the class PntMap in GeoPolygon.h .
> This problem was fixed in r827502 (
> http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=827502 ) already.
>
> Although I more or less introduced this error by enabling unit testing
> in marble, I dislike the way I am addressed for
> errors like this. I sometimes feel that people are disappointed because
> I am working on windows more than on linux
> and as such people behave different towards me and any errors.
You have no right to say so, especially not to me. I invited you to the Edu
meeting, remember? Didn't I include you as part of the team?
I do not monitor your commits and in fact I thought you are a GSoC for Marble.
Nobody cares whether your commits are for Windows or what else and I never
heard anyone even mentioning Windows.
> I like to contribute to kdeedu but I would prefer if people think before
> they hold me responsible for what they think to be my fault.
define "people" here please.

----

Very often on IRC people ask me for this or that, not because they think I am
responsible for it but because they think I'll do my best to help them.
That's why I asked you yesterday to help this user, as tackat and ingwa are
not there, I thought as a Marble person you would know about it.

The responsible of the whole kdeedu module is ME and the rest of KDE (the
release Team, the Release Dude, the translators, the packagers,...) relay on
ME for the module to build, to respect freeze, to have no show-stoppers, to
manage dependencies in a sane way and so on.
If a snapshot does not build then it is MY fault. As such when a user asks
something about an Edu program I feel involved and I try to help.

I volunteered for being the Edu Release Coordinator and I am taking this
opportunity to tell everyone that I'd be happy to pass it on to someone else
at any time. This role is only to ensure that the general Release rules are
followed and this position is intended to ease the Release Dude work load. I
feel I have quite failed for this release.

The problem is with Marble development in general as they were many changes in
the code while we are on freeze. I am not sure what all these changes are but
they often break compilation or string freeze or even dependency chain... I
don't think they were necessary during freeze and I said so both via mails
and on IRC.

Anne-Marie