[kde-edu]: KTurtle 4 performance

Jeff Shipley jshipley at jshipley.homelinux.net
Fri Jan 18 18:51:35 CET 2008

Now that it has been released, I decided to take KTurtle 4.0 for a spin.
I'm using the build from the kubuntu repository (deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy main).

I ran the recursive fractal code that was submitted to this list a few
months back (in German for KTurtle 3.5).  After translating them to
English/KTurtle 4.0 and running them, I was surprised by the difference in
runtime speed between KTurtle 3.5 and KTurtle 4.0.  baum.logo (3.5), using
a recursive depth of 15, takes about 30 seconds to run. baum.turtle (4.0),
using a recursive depth of 15... still wasn't quite finished after 24
hours, and using a recursive depth of 13 still took about 4 hours to run.

Most stuff seems to run fairly quickly, I can draw a huge square spiral
covering the entire canvas in a few seconds.

Speeding everything up (at least for the full-speed execution mode) is
going to be a priority for me for the 4.1 release.

--
Jeff