[kde-edu]: kde-edu Digest, Vol 69, Issue 17

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 16:07:22 CET 2008

2008/12/30 Dylon Edwards <integr8e at gmail.com>

> > Aleix, I'm looking into KOffice's Flake shape library now, what exactly
>> are
>> > you looking for in a Maxima Flake?  Can it not already render MathML
>> > objects?
>>
>>   It would be the way to make KWord a texmacs-line application in terms of
>>   integration with maxima. http://www.texmacs.org/
>

> Ah, and all this time I was trying to figure out how to integrate KWord
> into KFormula, not the other way around :)
>
> Maybe I could help port KFormula to KOffice 2.0, and in the process,
> implement a KFormula docker for the suite (I'm much more a fan of dockers
> than regular toolbars).  Then, creating MML flake shapes would be a breeze!
> After that, if they would let me, I could begin working on KFormula to
> transform it into the CAS I'm looking for -- which, in my opinion, would be
> a killer feature for an office suite.

It's already done, afaik.
You should talk about that with the KOffice guys though, I'm not sure of its
current state.
We would need a way to read a shape from another shape. I'm CC'ing a couple
of koffice guys who can help you with this.

> I could also begin porting my Java sources to C++ and continue improving
> the parser and large decimal classes.  If they become satisfactory, would
> you consider working with me to create a CAS library we could use in all
> KDE?

As I said, libanalitza (KAlgebra) already has a parser and some CAS
features, I'm not going to start another one from scratch. We could use
libanalitza (kalgebra's library) to convert from mathml to maxima/maple/any
cas if you wish.

> How much I get accomplished over the holidays depends mainly on how quickly
> I get a solid feel for KDE programming.  Two weeks from today, I go back to
> my university for my 4th semester; I probably won't be able to get much more
> done, then, until Summer :P

As always, any help (as a patch, idea or anything) is welcome.

Thanks,
Aleix

PS: If you want, you could join us in the irc, just do it, you will find me
there most of the days.