[kde-edu]: new porject: KFormulaThrower

Jeffrey Kelling overlordapophis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:41:49 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 12 August 2008 21:59:48 schrieb Carlos Licea:
> El Tuesday 12 August 2008 08:20:37 Jeffrey Kelling escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to introduce to you your new project KFormulaThrower  (KFT).
> >
> > We, Felix Lemke and myself, Jeffrey Kelling, are two Physics Students
> > from Dresden, Germany. I have been Programming in C++ for al long time
> > now but I am new to QT. Felix is a rather inexperienced C++ Programmer,
> > he was involved in the start of Palapeli (playground/games).
> >
> > KFT is supposed to become a Program to manually manipulate complex
> > formulas at the computer using Drag&Drop. Some simple simplifications
> > will be done automatically (e.g. reduction), but it should not become an
> > computer algebra program. The advantage oft KFT over ordinary paper will
> > be to not getting confused by your own handwriting ;)
> >
> > We would like to know if you think that it would be suitable to cooperate
> > with Kmath. Feedback and suggestions are also welcome.
> >
> > Yours,
> >
> > Jeffrey Kelling
>
> Hello Jeffrey,
> 	I, to be honest, think that such application has no fit in an educational
> project. Since teaching is not its goal at all. Nevertheless it would be
> very usefull, and essentially has the same interest you seem to have, if
> you work in KFormula for the KOffice suite. Which basically aims to provide
> a nice way to represent formulas in documents (either by itself or as an
> embedded document inside another one). You can find us at #koffice channel
> in the freenode ( irc.freenode.org ).
> 	Hope to se you there, we are nice people ;)... 		and we need help.
>
> Carlos

Hello Carlos,

by manipulate I meant calculate rather then just edit. So when you change
something the old state will be displayed alongside the new one, so you can
keep track of your work and the program will also check the mathematics (at
the by allowing only mathematically correct transformations). By manually I
meant, that is not supposed to solve equations automatically.
So KFT differs from KFormula. At the moment we are only considering LaTeX as
an export option.

Jeffrey