[kde-edu]: Parley (KVocTrain) Expiring

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Mon Sep 24 00:17:14 CEST 2007

Hi!
Wow, thank y'all for answering!!!
I did not think anyone would care. This proves again that there are quite a
few people interested in Parley! Great!

Otherwise we geeks who are working hard will have to guess what you like, but
we are not like you, are we?
I love hearing from you, the users, as do the other Edu devs, I'm sure! Tell
them that their program is fun and what could make it better!!! Now is still
some time till final freeze for 4.0, speak up :)

Really, the user feedback is very good positive and motivating and much more
than I thought it would ever be!
If you have ideas, I and others are quite open for them usually. We cannot
make wonders happen, but who knows?
I'd like to have even more publicity for Parley, as it's "new" (in packaging
at least). Recomend it to others. If you have ideas or could write a nicer
description for the web page, which is not my strength I think, nor is it my
top priority, that would also be very helpful.
Keep your contrib files comming too, we need to have files, to convince people
to use Parley... which results in more files...

Expiring:
I am happy that I asked and it will not be hard making this feature work in
the way you described. I almost would have taken it out. Since I rewrote the
practice selection anyways and it should be flexible enough to support doing
this, instead I'll keep it and make it work the way it was intended.

The current blocking behavior is to prevent the word from being selected for
the practice for a certain amount of time.
So the "correct" behavior should be to drop the grade by one and include the
word in the practice? Dropping the grade by one is quick to implement
actually and will include the word since it will have enough time out for the
next lower category.

I have/will completely decouple this from thresholds (word types etc).
Threshold selection will work for all practices equally then. Except word
types for grammar tests, where the test type overrules that setting.

Also I chatted today with the author of the original Leitner System
implementation who pointed out some details which will lead to a
reimplementation of the Leitner System correctly this time (it was never done
wholeheartedly in KDE 3.5). This should also help improving the learning
experience for serious learners using the program frequently.

A huge thank you to all you people helping!
Writing code is not everything!
Don't forget about the other Edu apps, speak up!

If you have an idea for the soon to be Parley icon, that would also be very
good. Idea. We have great artists that will draw the logo, but we need to
come up with an idea what it should be. It has to be something loosely
associated with languages/learning and should be recognizable even when
small.

If you ever tried the printing function, you will probably agree that it...
well... is hard to use... harder even, if you want something good looking...
If you are an xslt expert, speak up, we need you. We already have someone
investigating and it seems that a nice way to implement printing would be to
turn the kvtml file into html or something a browser can display easily and
let the browser do the printing. This sounds promising, so give us a hand.
Learning that and experimenting should be fun and not that hard. Contact me,
as always ;)

Frederik

You can also vote for Parley to make it more popular on:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=66741

Check out http://edu.kde.org/parley and
http://blue-gnu.biz/content/parley_new_kvoctrain

Other things Parley:
-KDE4 is comming, no big new features will be implemented but bugs fixed.
There are very few left (as far as I can tell) but little things keep on
popping up. The gui still does not make me happy, but it's much improved.
-Declinations will come, but not in kde 4.0 but 4.1
-Images are 4.1 too
-Sound: currently only very basic, should be played, if a soundfile is
associated with the solution. Should I rather deactivate that for now?

Note on sound: The xine lib which is currently the only backend for Phonon
(the KDE sound thingy) has some bugs. One is very troubling for Parley I
think. Xine crashes when playing ogg sound files that are shorter than 2.7
seconds. That makes many files unusable, for example wiktionary.org ones.
I currently have no idea how to work around this.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=109655&aid=1606138&group_id=9655
Maybe there is some way to motivate xine people to fix this.

--
Use GPG.