[kde-edu]: announcement

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Fri Oct 12 12:28:29 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:53 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> > > "has", as in "newly featured", isn't that rather proper english?

> > Yes "sports" is great in this context. Sports can be used for new
> > clothes as in "He was sporting a natty new suit." One imagines someone
> > strutting around with great pride in themselves. Excellent choice of
> > words.

> Look, if you're sarcastic, PLEASE add a line telling so - I don't have
> time trying to figure out if this is proper use of english or not, and
> this comment doesn't really help very well... It probably would be
> funny if I had way too much time on my hand, but reality currently is
> very very different for me.

Dag Jos,

I think there is no sarcasm here. In the UK (& America) sports
has become quite common usage through ``journalese'' (the self-
consciously fancy language of print and radio/TV journalist),
and is quite normal to see not just in press releases, but in
review articles, and general comment.

It still carries the implications of natiness and pride to which
Shelagh alludeed, but not strongly. In fact the only reason to
avoid sports in favour of has (or even features) is that it
may be viewed as cliche or hackneyed language - but that is
very context dependent, and sports is fine here.

Regards,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org