[kde-edu]: announcement

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Thu Oct 11 16:15:05 CEST 2007

Am Donnerstag 11 Oktober 2007 13:07 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> Hi guys,
>
> thanks to all the work you've been doing, the edu part of KDE will
> get some attention in the release announcement ;-)

Dear Jos,

nice mail I'd say ;)

> I thus would like to collect some comments on the text below - how
> complete is it and what did I say wrong?

Let's have a look, then...

> Educational Software
>
>  As we have come to expect, a lot of work has going on in the
> educational area. Last month saw improvements in marble, KVoctrain
> (now renamed to Parley) and bugfixes.

Isn't it rather Marble (capital M) as it is a name?
What app is "bugfixes" *scnr*?
You MUST mention Step!

> KVoctrain, an application which can be used to train language
> vocabulary, received usability work, features and a namechange. The
> new name, Parley, points to a discussion or conference, especially
> one between enemies over terms of truce or other matters. This fresh

'Truce'?  *looking up dict* ceasefire is the better known word to me.
So it's like "peace negotiation". Interesting story (as I din't know
it) - maybe we can make it briefer for this occasion? Then, Parley
isn't the first edu app coming into my mind (but maybe because I am a
Mathematician). Worth to mention here is the wide range of existing
vocabulary (including semi-commercial databases) and the memorization
technique (according to most modern state of brain research).

> combinations. Finally, Parley became more colorful when the picture

Is colorful anything harmful? *scnr*

> support was added, which enables users to practise with pictures as
> well. edu Parley.png
>
>  Thanks to the work by Carlos Licea, Marble sports a new 2D

sports? Add: The KDE Desktop Globe Marble
Shouldnt we mention Torsten Rahn as well?

> projection where you can view the earth like a map. Marble also
> retrieves Wikipedia articles about cities you select. edu marble.png
>
>  On saturday the 15th of October, the KDE-Edu team had a polish day.
> This let to many fixes and improvements, most notably in Blinken,
> KGeography, KHangMan and Marble. Also a global sound issue has been
> fixed in all Edu apps, and currently there is investigation going on
> in the Get Hot New Stuff area.

The latter term (GHNS) needs explanation.

>  After all this work, the edu team is now shifting gears and focusing
> on stabilization and translation work, though there still are some
> things in the pipeline.

When Carsten Niehaus presented KDE 4 to our last Skolelinux (aka Debian
Edu) Meeting in Guetersloh (Germany), Step! and Avogado (? - part of
Kalzium) were the projects which made us really cheer!

This is my 5 cent
Regards
Ralf