[kde-edu]: Parley (KVocTrain) - split translations

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Wed Oct 10 14:15:48 CEST 2007

Hi people,
after preventing me from feature reduction the last time, let's see, if we can
play the same game again :)

1.) I have stumbled over another thing that seems uncomfortable to me: split
solutions
a) it makes my life harder
b) it is badly implemented
c) I don't know if it's usefull
d) I don't like it
e) ...

Now my question is, does anyone use it?
There will be changes in how an answer is corrected (yay!). I don't want to
promis anything on the short term, but it looks promising :)
We won't ever achieve intelligent validation of answers, because computers and
languages don't fit. But we can pretend ;)

Reading the book of all books (The KVocTrain Handbook) of course enlightens
me... except that the feature is not documented.
Wow. What is a field? How do I know if I want to split my translation? Does it
hurt?

Now I went to the ordeal of creating a new document in KVocTrain to
specifically test this nifty feature. And the result is...
It looks ugly as hell.
The "fields" are lineedits below each other.

I am thinking about taking this out completely.
My current idea is to use the great new (far from perfect) correction stuff
and make it even greater by looking at individual words. So if you need to
enter a sentence, individual words will appear in red and green.

Opinions and suggestions?

2.) Suggestion lists
After such a long time I noticed if this feature was enabled, Parley kept on
crashing... This was due to changes in KComboBox using QLineEdit internally
instead of the K version and obviously overlooked in the Qt4 porting effort
because it uses an evil cast. This is still giving me nausea.
Apart from doing other evil things it uglifies some parts of code pretty well
an needs quite a few strange work arounds.

So again, please comment on the usefulness of this thingy. Maybe there could
be something like this, but improved usability wise?
To me it sounds like cheating anyway. Use multiple choice, I'd say ;)

Have a great day,
Frederik (with his favorite code chopping screeching evil chainsaw in hand
already)

PS: if any of you gets around to testing sound and image, pleas let me know if
it works at all, if it's usable, what could be made better etc...

--
Parley - The Vocabulary Trainer
http://edu.kde.org/parley

The E-Team http://edu.kde.org

I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it.
Oscar Wilde