[kde-edu]: KEPA: kde4 Edu Portable Apps (for Windows)?

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Wed Nov 21 15:04:13 CET 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 13:42:51 RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> my school is one out of hundred using KDE Edu on top of a
> Skolelinux/Debian Edu installation. As a matter of fact, like many
> other schools, we have still a lab with windows clients - and most
> teachers use Redmond's OS on their home computers.
>
> For this reason, I also have to provide complement software for the KDE
> Edu apps we use to be used with windows. I try to be this free
> software - but there is not always a 1-1 complement available.
>
> Approaching the release of KDE 4.0, and following this list, I realised
> that there are first successfull compilations of KDE4 Edu apps. And
> this rings a bell: Why should I distribute 2nd class freeware if I
> could provide genuine Kalzium & Co. even for non-free operation system!
>
> Being able to install the same software in any lab, will increase both,
> the usage of KDE Edu apps and the use of Linux clients, I hope!
>
> I know that this is argued by some - e.g. GCompris' Windows version is
> distributed as reduced demo version. I also understand the
> argument: "If they don't mind to pay for the operation system, they
> should be able to pay for their applications as well."
>
> The policy of KDE  towards Windows is (apparently) different.
> Nevertheless I'd like to suggest that KDE should remember its original
> base and its dedication to FOSS by adding corresponding information to
> their info ("about") dialogues [1].
> (My impression is that this is a turning point, and that it was wise to
> add such a marketing policy right now, just in time before releasing
> KDE 4 for Windows.)

I agree that a special message in the 'about dialog' referencing the fact that
KDE is FOSS/Linux first is a good idea.

> Until then, I would be glad if anybody who can provide working binaries
> of Kalzium, KVoctrain, KSimon, KBruch etc. for Windows clients, could
> contact me. There is several Media Centers in Germany who spread USB
> sticks with portable applications to their schools ("digital
> schoolbag"). It would be nice to have KDE Edu apps in the bag!

I suggest you subscribe to (or at least have a look through the archives of)
the kde-windows mailing list
(https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-windows). As far as I am aware,
pretty much all of the kde-edu apps have been compiled on Windows without any
loss of functionality.

> Thank you very much for reading -
> Kind regards
> Ralf.
>
> [1] First draft: "This software was originally developed for the KDE
> desktop. KDE Desktop is a window manager designed for GNU/Linux and
> similar Unices. This software, KDE, and GNU/Linux are distributed under
> the free GPL license...."

Regards,
Matt Williams