[kde-edu]: KEPA: kde4 Edu Portable Apps (for Windows)?

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Wed Nov 21 14:42:51 CET 2007

Dear list,

my school is one out of hundred using KDE Edu on top of a
Skolelinux/Debian Edu installation. As a matter of fact, like many
other schools, we have still a lab with windows clients - and most
teachers use Redmond's OS on their home computers.

For this reason, I also have to provide complement software for the KDE
Edu apps we use to be used with windows. I try to be this free
software - but there is not always a 1-1 complement available.

Approaching the release of KDE 4.0, and following this list, I realised
that there are first successfull compilations of KDE4 Edu apps. And
this rings a bell: Why should I distribute 2nd class freeware if I
could provide genuine Kalzium & Co. even for non-free operation system!

Being able to install the same software in any lab, will increase both,
the usage of KDE Edu apps and the use of Linux clients, I hope!

I know that this is argued by some - e.g. GCompris' Windows version is
distributed as reduced demo version. I also understand the
argument: "If they don't mind to pay for the operation system, they
should be able to pay for their applications as well."

The policy of KDE  towards Windows is (apparently) different.
Nevertheless I'd like to suggest that KDE should remember its original
base and its dedication to FOSS by adding corresponding information to
their info ("about") dialogues [1].
(My impression is that this is a turning point, and that it was wise to
add such a marketing policy right now, just in time before releasing
KDE 4 for Windows.)

Until then, I would be glad if anybody who can provide working binaries
of Kalzium, KVoctrain, KSimon, KBruch etc. for Windows clients, could
contact me. There is several Media Centers in Germany who spread USB
sticks with portable applications to their schools ("digital
schoolbag"). It would be nice to have KDE Edu apps in the bag!

Thank you very much for reading -
Kind regards
Ralf.

[1] First draft: "This software was originally developed for the KDE
desktop. KDE Desktop is a window manager designed for GNU/Linux and
similar Unices. This software, KDE, and GNU/Linux are distributed under
the free GPL license...."