[kde-edu]: [3.5] KApplication::invokeBrowser() question

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed May 23 21:44:18 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just got a bug report[1] that indicates a user can't get KStars to open
> URLs when run from GNOME.  The error message is:
> Error: could not launch the browser  Could not find service "kfmclient"
>
> KStars uses KApplication::invokeBrowser(), which is supposed to use the
> user's configured browser, and as I understand it, should work fine under
> GNOME.  My understanding is that "kfmclient" is a small utility that opens
> the user's preferred browser.  Obviously, this user doesn't have kfmclient
> installed.

You could use KRun instead. KApplication itself can't because it is in kdecore
and KRun is in kio.

> So this is probably a packaging issue, but I don't know enough about it to
> advise the user.  The bug report indicates that KStars came from Ubuntu
> packages, and specifically, from edubuntu.  Is anyone familiar with what
> ubuntu package provides the kfmclient service?  I suppose edubuntu will
> need to be advised of this missing dependency.

In Debian it is part of the package "konqueror" which the "kstars" package
even suggests.
Assuming their packages do  not differ too much, the user could fix this by
installing either the konqueror package or the kdebase metapackage.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring