[kde-edu]: Edubuntu & kde-edu

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat May 19 14:53:03 CEST 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 19.22, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Divendres 18 Maig 2007, Agustin Benito va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since Edubuntu guys told me that they were making a survey of edu contens
> > and apps, and since no one from kde-edu was at UDS I wanted to make sure
> > they do not forget to include or study any of kde apps. That is what I
> > was worry about in UDS and that is why I sent the e-mail from Edubuntu
> > list to kde-edu list. I didn't know that Anne Marie was already in
> > Edubuntu mailing list.
> >
> > Edubuntu guys made me clear that having kde (I remind you mEDUXa is a
> > kde-based distro) is not a barrier for collaborating between both
> > projects. That point of view is what made me send the e-mail. Of course I
> > might be wrong but I want to make clear that I have no other objetive
> > that make kde-edu popular and spread it as much as posible.
> >
> > I think a direct contact with edubuntu to know what they want and their
> > roadmap would be nice, to see if they really count with kde-edu. aKademy
> > could be a good place for that although a simple IRC conversation is also
> > a solution. Edubuntu is a growing project and I'm sure we can find a way
> > of conneting each other. It would only take one or two hours of chatting.
> >
> > We can also do that with Guadalinex (an Ubuntu based edu distro). They
> > have 160,000 computers in schools in Andalucía (a million students) and
> > kde-edu is not on it. You can do the same with them
>
> So they are doing a sucky distribution (by not including kde-edu) and it is
> we who have to contact them? Shouldn't they be doing their work and
> including relevant apps?

With all due respect, Albert, this is very unproductive response, maybe even
counter-productive.

What they should or should not is largely irrelevant here.  For some reason
(political? technical? whim?) they haven't included kde-edu. It is now in our
interest, and of course the students', to make them realize that this is a
mistake.

This is a lot like selling to large accounts. The first step should be to map
up the other party: Who is with us? Who is against us? Why? Who influences
whom, and in what ways? Who is the real decision maker(s)?  When we know
that, we can continue the process and try to make them add kde-edu apps, and
maybe the whole module.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |