[kde-edu]: Step and Summer of Code ?

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Thu Mar 15 14:58:45 CET 2007

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2007 14:22 schrieb Vladimir Kuznetsov:
> Hello All !
>
> I'm thinking about applying Step as a project for Summer of Code

<snip>

> StepCore (simulation):
> - collision detection with friction (I hope this will be ready before
> summer) - movement restrictions (joints) (it can be ready too)
> - global error estimation
> - molecular dynamics (2d gas)
> - soft bodies and massive springs

Mmh, I think it is easier for everybody to decide if you would add your
suggestion here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2007/Ideas#KDE_Edu

Of course, that page is for mentors suggesting SoCs not for students :-) But
still I find that structure+layout much easier to read...

The only issue I have is that we had a very similar project last year which
didn't succeed. Of course, Step is already much more mature and already
works. Its GUI sucks and all that but I already really like Step and will
probably show it around in my school soon.

Personally, I like "molecular dynamics (2d gas)" most and also suggest (well,
that is basically the same!) Brownian motion.

Good screenies:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Brownian_hierarchical.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/Wiener_process_3d.png

As a chemistry teacher both (2d and 3d, 2d more important) would be very nice
to have!!

Carsten