[kde-edu]: kde-edu Digest, Vol 51, Issue 11

Gopala Krishna krishna.ggk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:47:39 CEST 2007

Hi Andreas,
      Thanks for replying :)

> the coloring used in KTouch indicates the way fingers are supposed to be placed, according to the various ways of teaching. Note, the this differs in different countries! In Germany, the keys on the top row are shifted by one to the right so that the little finger of the left hand also pressed the 2 key. In the United States and the Asien countries, the little finger only presses the 1 key and the key to the left of it, but the 2 key is already pressed by the ring finger.

Oh ok. This means finger clue will be difficult to implement due to
large variety of keyboard layout. I agree.

> Now, regarding your question: While the finger layout it recommended and supposed to give you an optimal typing rate, most people deviate a little from this based on personal preference. Especially for the programming part, I prefer to use the middle finger and the ring finger of my right hand to press the [] and {}, since most of the time you have to press them one after another. So, my advise would be: don't take the coloring and fingerplacement as a strict rule, but try to follow it through the lectures so that you can start typing will all fingers. Then with time you will develop a preferred way to type, mainly for the special characters.
>
> Hint: To practice programming keys, simply use the "Open plain text file..." feature and load in a header or cpp file for typing training.

I agree your point of not being very strict with the rules. But I find
it difficult to use my pinkie finger since it isn't trained which i
want to change. So a few videos will help me a lot. As you indicated,
i might use other finger for few symbols instead of pinkie finger but
I'd like to complete the basic training first. Thanks for the hint :)

BTW , i just glanced through the ktouch code(kde4) and found out that
the GraphicsView framework is being incorporated. Also one of the
commit read new engine is adopted. This sounds cool. Can you tell me
what additional features can we expect in the kde4-ktouch?

--
Cheers,
Gopala Krishna A