[kde-edu]: An idea for a new application.

ajdlinux at gmail.com ajdlinux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:00:35 CEST 2007

On 6/12/07, Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:
> Can you precise exactly what the program you have in mind should do please?
> have trouble to see what you mean by "the average junior (yrs 7-10) high
> school student", can you precise the student age?

Right, you're not from where I come from :)

Years 7-10 in Australia would be roughly 13-16 years old. In my state
algebra is taught through all those years.

What I think such an app would do: essentially be an algebra tutor,
allowing a student to experiment with simple algebraic equations, ie.
set variables, swap things around, a graphical expression constructor,
etc.

To give you an idea of what is taught in high schools out here:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_sc/pdf_doc/mathematics_710_syllabus.pdf

Summary of Patterns and Algebra Outcomes for Stages 2 to 5

2.1     Generates, describes and records number patterns using a
variety of strategies and completes simple number sentences by
calculating missing values (p 79)
3.1a    Records, analyses and describes geometric and number patterns
that involve one operation using tables and words (p 80)
3.1b    Constructs, verifies and completes number sentences involving
the four operations with a variety of numbers (p 81)
4.1     Uses letters to represent numbers and translates between words
and algebraic symbols (p 82)
4.2     Creates, records, analyses and generalises number patterns
using words and algebraic symbols in a variety of ways (p 83)
Algebraic Techniques
4.3     Uses the algebraic symbol system to simplify, expand and
factorise simple algebraic expressions (p 85)
4.4     Uses algebraic techniques to solve linear equations and simple
inequalities (p 86)
5.1.1 Applies the index laws to simplify algebraic expressions (p 87)
5.2.1 Simplifies, expands and factorises algebraic expressions
involving fractions and negative and fractional indices (p 88)
5.2.2 Solves linear and simple quadratic equations, solves linear
inequalities and solves simultaneous equations using graphical and
analytical methods (p 90)
5.3.1 Uses algebraic techniques to simplify expressions, expand
binomial products and factorise quadratic expressions (p 92)
5.3.2 Solves linear, quadratic and simultaneous equations, solves and
graphs inequalities, and rearranges literal equations (p 94)

((c) 2003 Copyright Board of Studies NSW for and on behalf of the
Crown in right of the State of New South Wales, fair dealing of
course)

An app like the one I would like to see would step through topics and
ask students questions about them, letting them experiment. It would
be more than just a calculator. (Of course it wouldn't be specific to
a particular syllabus or course, but I'm just quoting from what I
know.)

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)