[kde-edu]: dbus question

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 10:28:20 CEST 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 02:04:52 Jason Harris wrote:
> So, what is the XML descriptor file for?  Do I need to add it to SVN and
> modify my CMakeLists.txt as recommended in the above tutorial?  It seems to
> be working fine without the XML file, but it's possible/likely I am missing
> something.

It depends on what your development methodology is like.
Personally I prefer the design-by-contract approach, which means:
- XML first
- code later (generated from XML)

Contract-first is no doubt in advantage when you want e.g. multiple
implementations of the same D-Bus interface, e.g. with PyKDE, and a lot
better if you care about interface versioning (AWI, or Application Wire
Interface).
Code-first is more convenient for developers, that's the only advantage I can
see.

Josef