[kde-edu]: Integrating existing EduApps into KDE-Edu?

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Sun Jan 28 00:22:50 CET 2007

Dear list,

my perception of the KDE Edu project is, that all developers of KDE Edu
applications are part of the project. Maybe this is different in few
cases (KMPlot?).

Opposed to this, other projects (say CDDs like Debian-Edu or Debian-Med)
focus on integrating ("debianizing") existing software projects into
their architecture (i.e. building and maintaining deb packages).

Now, I wonder, to what extend it was possible to widen the diversity of
KDE Edu and to enlarge its range of applications by likewise
integrating free software that was not originally written for KDE?

GNU GPL is one preposition, of course, and in the end, we need Qt4 as
second condition. Could you please give your assessment how difficult
it is to integrate applications into KDE/Qt like
- Java applications using AWT or SWING (GeoGebra, JFractionLab)
- Gnome applications using GTK+ (gnusim8085, linexedu-matematicas,
  abuledu)
- Other neat stuff written in python, smalltalk (Squeak?), gambas...?

If you regard this approach as non-sense, please explain ;)

Kind regards
Ralf