[kde-edu]: Step: interactive physical simulator

Harish Kukreja harish.kukreja at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:12:22 CET 2007

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:57:05 -0500, Vladimir Kuznetsov
<ks.vladimir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All !
>
> I'm recently started to develop interactive physical simulator for
> education
> called Step and it's underlying library called StepCore. I've just
> registered the project at sourceforge and published first pre-alpha
> release. You can read more about it at http://stepcore.sourceforge.net/
>
> Currently Step is based on Qt4, but I think it can surely benefit from
> KDE
> technologies and possibly kde-edu can benefit from it too (any chances
> for
> inclusion?). So I have an idea to port it to KDE4.
>
> I have no prior experience in developing for KDE. Can I use this
> mailing-list to ask advices ?
>
> And of course I'll be really glad if anyone is interested in joining Step
> development. There are plenty of interesting tasks to do ranging from
> simulation core development to GUI tasks such as drawing icons (as you
> can
> see currently Step still has no icons at all !).
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
> Thanks for your attention.

Hello Vladimir,

The aims of Physiks are very similar to those of StepCore. I am finding it
increasingly difficult to allocate much time to coding for Physiks. Hence,
I think it would be a good idea to find a way to merge the two projects
together (or we could incorporate whatever you like from the ideas of
Physiks).

I have not yet seen the code for StepCore, but I'm sure it's a lot more
than what is currently in the Physiks codebase. Furthermore, Physiks was
originally intended to facilitate rapid scripting of simulations with
minimal knowledge of graphics or data-output utilites. Would you like
StepCore to have this aspect as well?

More information about Physiks can be found in the DESIGN and TODO files
located at /home/kde/branches/work/kde4/playground/edu/physiks

Regards,

Harish Kukreja