[kde-edu]: Sugg: KDE-Edu Demo Server via NX

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Tue Jan 23 18:25:22 CET 2007

Dear List,

considering the fears of my fellow teachers regarding the usability of
non-Redmond operation systems, I believe that the fastest and easiest
way to convince them was to give them a showcase system.

First approaches would be
- spreading live CDs (which hardly any will try out)
- make them use the Linux lab (but they stick to the other lab)

In the long run, we might be able to provide a KDE for W32 - but for
now, I wonder: Haven't there been any ideas to launch a freeNX server
with public access?

We'd need a P4 machine with dual core CPU and >2GB RAM. On top a KDE
installation + NX server + some web interface that gives away one time
accounts that grant access for max. 15 minutes. After that period, this
user account and all his processes should be killed.

For legal reasons, either the internet access must be blocked, or
accounts have to be assigned to real people via their email addresses.
I'd opt for the first alternative, since we want to present KDE[Edu].

What's your opinion on the
- feasibitlity
- sense
of such a project?