[kde-edu]: [patch] KTurtle console and direction dialog

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:35:33 CET 2007

On 12/7/07, Mauricio Piacentini <piacentini at kde.org> wrote:
> Aleix wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > Today I have been using kturtle for a while, after checking stephanie's script.
> >
> > I liked to use it, since i used logo when i was at school and it made
> > me remind of my childhood :). (I used mswlogo btw)
> >
> > After that, I made a couple of patches to fix something that annoyed me.
> > - kturtle_directiondialog.diff << this patch lets the direction dialog
> > work when moving the mouse inside the widget (with the mouse clicked).
> > -  kturtle_consoledock.diff << this patch adds another dock that has
> > an entry line and executes it when pressing enter. I used to check how
> > to do things with a console like this, and it seems useful to me.
> >
> > The first one can be commited I think, the second one not, because of
> > the feature and string freeze.
> >
> (back to Brazil!)
> Whoo Aleix! Great. I think you should commit the direction dialog one,
> the previous behavior was indeed not optimal. As for the second one, I
> agree it is REALLY useful, but we need to respect the string/feature
> freeze, and add it for 4.1.
If I understood correctly, Jeff commited the first by himself, so it
is already there. I understand the second one can't enter by now,
don't worry :). I already said that on my email.

> In this next release we could maybe make consider this console and the
> code tree feature as grouped under an "advanced" setting in the
> configuration dialog, disabled by default to not scare younger users
> (hiding the code tree by default was something someone (annma?)
> suggested anyway, maybe even for 4.0.) But I find the addition of a
> console a very, very good idea. It is much easier to learn if you can
> type a command and immediately see the turtle reacting to it, great!
I think that the "run script" textbox is more confusing. The students
must understand first that every line it is an instruction. This is
obvious in the Console way to work, but it might not be in the script.
The main problem that the console has, by now, is that writing loops
on it is not really reliable, but if you are interested on this
feature, we can sort it out.

> Regards,
> Mauricio Piacentini

Bye!