[kde-edu]: Marble 0.4 Release - Request for packages

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sun Aug 19 10:56:36 CEST 2007

Hi Everybody,

Yesterday evening we released the Source Code of Marble 0.4

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Marble+-+Desktop+Globe?content=55105

The revision that will likely be tagged and branched from (once the SVN admins
will make it possible) is

				KDE SVN revision 701563 (Marble v.0.4.0)

Marble 0.4 is not feature complete with regard to the aim of providing a fully
featured Atlas. But it should be very stable and is aimed for everyday usage
already for those people where Marble suits the needs already.

Marble 0.4 hasn't got the GSoC 2007 features enabled yet. It will be the
primary aim of Marble 0.5 to have the work of the Google Summer of Code 2007
students very well integrated, enabled and exposed to the user.

The KDE-Apps.org release of Marble 0.4 is mostly targeted at people who don't
use KDE 4 yet, but still use KDE 3. On the other hand KDE 4 Beta 2 will ship
with Marble automatically already so there isn't really anything to be done
for  the KDE version (unless you package KDE 4 Beta 2 ;-).

So please create packages of the QTONLY version for the people who are not KDE
developers according to the following instructions:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php

These instructions also contain note about how you can configure Marble to
find its data.

I'd like to ask the packagers to create packages for their favourite operating
system and to send me a URL with the ready made packages.

Please take note, that there is a -DWITH-DESIGNER-PLUGIN cmake switch, which
you can build your packages with. This switch will provide an additional
Qt-Designer-Plugin for developers.

Please also take note that Marble already comes with its own Marble library.
This library is still in development and while it's pretty mature already
it's certainly to early to put the library into it's own package to be
offered for development in third party applications.

The Qt version of Marble doesn't offer translations and updated documentation
yet. This will be enabled later on in an extra release.

If you should need to apply fixes to the source code / CMakeLists.txt files to
get the application running and packaged please notify us and send us
patches.

I will be in Denmark with no internet access today so if questions should
arise please direct them to our mailing list marble-devel at kde.org.

Best Regards,

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz