[kde-edu]: Programme for Teachers

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Sat Aug 4 03:35:22 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 12:14:21 pm Eric Krüse wrote:
> I mentioned this on the IRC channel just reposting it
> here for documentary purposes, but one thing that all
> distros aimed at schools are lacking is a very
> important sort of programme for the teachers. I am
> known in my area for sending letters about once a
> month aimed at switching schools over to open source
> software. One of the main reasons why I have not found
> any converts is the fact that there is no programme
> for teachers to track grades and behaviour. I believe
> this would greatly enhances KDEEdu's chance in winning
> against the competition. This with Kiosktool updated
> for KDE4 could be a great thing.

Eric,

I asked Carsten about this on irc today, and he had some good suggestions
since he's a teacher and all.

These first ones are for a google SoC project, though gnome based. :(
http://code.google.com/soc/2007/ubuntu/appinfo.html?csaid=361DBAB13AE22965
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2007/teachers-gradebook

Another open source grading tool
http://www.lightandmatter.com/ogr/ogr.html

and here's one Carsten found that he said he may end up using or is using at
the moment...?
http://cando.schooltool.org/

hope that helps,

Jeremy