[kde-edu]: Interesting project: iTALC

jos at mijnkamer.nl jos at mijnkamer.nl
Fri Aug 3 05:48:50 CEST 2007

On 8/2/07, RalfGesellensetter <rgx at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 01 August 2007 18:29 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > Hmmm, I had to look a long time to find ANY reference to linux. This
> > might not be the best project to advertise KDE with, it doesn't use
> > nor depend on KDE, and does only mention it when talking about KDM
> > configuration...
>
> Dear Jos,
>
> I know the author of iTalc (and LMMS) for two years now, and also iTalc.
> It was developed under Qt3, mainly for KDE, in the first place. Only
> recently, with Qt4, the software could be ported to other platforms.
>
> Tobias (the author) knows the benefits of the GPL, but his marketing
> (and earnings) might focus on non-linux settings (unfortunateley still
> the majority in schools).
>
> iTalc is next to perfect, and also used with many Skolelinux/Debian-Edu
> KDE desktops in Germany.

I stand corrected ;-)
And I have a question.
We (kde marketing ppl) are looking for numbers. How much KDE is out
there... I'll reply here with the marketinglist as cc, see if they're
interested. Maybe trying to figure out a good guess of how many
Skolelinux desktops are out there. On their site is a list of 151
registered schools using it, interesting, but how many did not
register?

@Don: thank you for the information. And sorry also... If there is
anything we can do for iTalc in the area of promotion - let us know.
We could announce new versions, do an interview for the dot, stuff
like that.