[kde-edu]: Website - Important

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Oct 1 17:47:00 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sunday 01 October 2006 06:30, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > I am KOffice webmaster and KDE-Edu webmaster along with Pino and I was
> > not aware of such a change. To say the least I am slightly angry about
> > this because I think we could have been consulted about the change.
>
> I don't get it. Are you:
>
> a) angry that edu. was not changed over at the same time
> b) angry that the look was changed at all

As Anne-Marie stated clearly in the above quoted text, she is slightly angered
by the fact that she wasn't aware that the changes were coming.  Surely
they've been discussed on kde-www though?  I seem to recall seeing mockups of
the layout a while ago.

> > I don't like this new layout which is OK for small content websites but
> > not with heavy content ones.

What about it specifically do you dislike?  I like the clean look, and it
doesn't seem too drastically different from the previous layout to me.

> ... because it changes the way you need to think about structuring the
> website. The same applies for the KDE homepage -- you can't put 68 links on
> a page in a sensible way with the new look and frankly I think that is a
> good thing.

I'm obviously missing something.  I just don't see what in the new layout
prevents complexity or rich content more than the old one.  I didn't actually
count the links at www.kde.org, but there must be close to 68 links there...

> > Some KDE websites have another layout than the www.kde.org one (Phonon
> > and such) and I was wondering if we should take the opportunity to move
> > to our own design.

If we're voting, I vote against this, unless there are compelling reasons to
not use the new Oxygen layout.  Perhaps we can apply some EDU-tweaks so that
visitors get *both* impressions: that we're part of KDE, and that we're a bit
different.

> > Personally i'd like to have a wiki  as a part of the edu website. For
> > example to list new educational applications ideas. Also to improve the
> > communicatin with our users.

That's a great idea, why don't we just add an edu section to wiki.kde.org?

regards,
Jason

--
KStars: http://edu.kde.org/kstars