[kde-edu]: An idea for a new application.

Miguel Marco mmarco at unizar.es
Sun Oct 1 17:11:01 CEST 2006

Hi.

I don't know if this is the right place for this message, if not, please
disregard it.

I am a math teacher, and talking with my colleagues we have had some ideas of
applications that could be usefull in the teaching of math. Unlukily, none of
us are good programmers, so i thought that maybe it could be a good idea to
expose them to people interested in making educational programs.

The main idea that we have talked about is a program to teach how to
manipulate basic algebraic expressions. For example, the student could see an
equation, and could drag with the mouse a term of it and drop it in the other
side of the equation, with opposite sign.

This could have several configurable levels, for instance, in a level they
could not drag and drop, but only select and open menu to "substract this
term from both sides", and then there could be an animation that shows how
the term is substracted, and canceled. There could also be menus for things
like "reduce to common denominator", "take the common factor",
"distribute"...

If someone thinks that such a program would be usefull, and is interested in
it becoming a reality, please let me know. I don't know much of programming,
but am willing to cooperate in all that i can.

Thanks in advance.

Miguel Marco Buzunariz
Departamento de matemáticas.
Universidad de Zaragoza