[kde-edu]: kvoctrain: untranslatable strings in GUI

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Fri Nov 3 21:32:14 CET 2006

Hi,

I found some untranslatable strings in kvoctrain GUI in branch.

$ grep -r "#define.*I18N_NOOP(" kdeedu/kvoctrain/ |grep -v "/.svn" shows them
all.

Seems to be a very old bug:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu-devel&m=110120593506225&w=2

I grepped all modules in branch for "#define.*I18N_NOOP(", found some in
kdebase/kcontrol/kfontinst/, kdegraphics and kanagramm, but none of the
strings are in l10n/messages, so I guessed, that this is a kde-wide bug and
not only a wrong messages: target in kvoctrain's Makefile.

So i added two missing files to the i18n_files list in Makefile.am and
extracted the messages with an unpatched xgettext and with the kde-xgettext
Scripty is using.

Result:
With unpatched xgettext: a kvoctrain.pot _with_ all missing and untranslatable
messages!
With kde-xgettext: a kvoctrain.pot _without_ these messages

Conclusion:
Bug is in the kde-xgettext, it does not extract these messages.

What to do?

a) fix kde-xgettext
b) change the code in kvoctrain, get rid of this construct
#define I18N_NOOP("foo") for translations

a) is impossible for me, but can help with b)

Burkhard Lück