[kde-edu]: [OpenGL] efficient spheres drawing ?

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 19 14:08:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm working on the 3D stuff in Kalzium. I need to render spheres, and to
optimize that for rendering speed on software-only systems.

So has anyone investigated this issue? Optimizing for software rendering is
probably not the same thing as optimizing for hardware-accelerated systems.

Currently, I do a gluSphere inside a display list, but that's certainly not
very efficient. I am considering using a Vertex Array / VBO instead. Do you
think VBOs make sense on software-only systems?

I was wondering if other developers here (KStars devs maybe?) had already
thought about that, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers,
Benoit