[kde-edu]: Fwd: [Kalzium] Redesign of Kalzium

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Sat Jun 17 16:29:13 CEST 2006

Moin moin

In the last couple of month we added quite some tools to Kalzium. Currently
 we have these tools:

-Periodic table
  --Informationdialog
-R/S-Dialog
-3D-Viewer
-Simulations
-Crystalviewer
-Isotopetable
-Tables
 -- Greek symbols (alpha, beta...)
 -- Numbers (what is '5' in greek?)
-Plotting
-Equation solver

Holy shit... That is a lot... :)

Ok, all tools but the PSE-Table are in Dialogs. Why?! I the table so special
in chemistry or more the "maintool" than the 3D-viewer? Perhaps, I don't
know; that is what I want to discuss with you.
Why is Kalzium the way it is? Well, that is just because the table was the
first thing I coded some years ago, the other tools came later. There is no
real reason in it. Therefore Pino and I had a brief discussion that we could
revamp the GUI of Kalzium.

We could for example make the PSE just another tool, make the mainwidget
 (that what now the table is in KDE 3.x) an "Overview over all tools" widget
 with preview and whatnot. If the use selects a tool this overview-thing
 would go away and that selected tool would appear. Not as a dialog but  as
 the main widget of Kalzium.

(I CC'ed kdeedu because perhaps some there want to take part in the
discussion. But please: Answer to kalzium at kde.org only)

--
Gruß,
  Carsten Niehaus