[kde-edu]: Merging the glossary with other KDEEDU code

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Sun Jul 16 21:14:36 CEST 2006

Hi Carsten,

On Sunday 16 July 2006 04:50, Carsten Niehaus wrote:

>         <name>State of matter</name>
>         <desc>Form of a substance; dependant on form stability and whether
> it takes up a definite volume: solid, liquid or gaseous.</desc>
>         <references>
>             <refitem>Boiling point</refitem>
>             <refitem>Melting point</refitem>
>         </references>
>     </item>
>
> The <refitem> means: This item somehow belongs to the item "Melting Point".
> Thus, a link to "Melting point" is given.
>
> The editor would give you a simple interface to create those items. Not
> i18n is involved because it is userinput. Wikipedia-integration would mean
> another xml-tag which gives you the link to the Wikipedia-article.
>
> COuld all this be merged into kvtml or should the format stay seperate?

I think you can use kvtml, however it might not be optimal for your needs. I
would, like I'm sure you would, have designed kvtml differently. It currently
relies heavily on attributes instead of elements, which IMHO is a bad idea.

Nevertheless, kvtml supports an attribute for description (your <desc>). For
the <refitem> you can probably use the support for lessons or perhaps word
categories.

The only thing really missing in kvtml are tags for images and sounds,
something I hope we can add for KDE4. Having tags for online dictionaries is
also an interesting idea.

I think it would be unfortunate if we introduce a completely new file format
for flashcard-like information.

Thanks,
Peter