[kde-edu]: [RFC] KPhysics - Interactive physics experiments for KDE

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Thu Apr 27 20:03:35 CEST 2006

Hi Jure

> Well I hope the picture about my idea is clear enough. So now about my
> questions:
>
> Does it make sense to you?

Yes

> Is this framework/plug-ins idea the right one
> for this application?

Yes, think so.

> Did I make any mistake when thinking about this
> and do you think I should change this?

No, seems fine. But I am sure the more you code the more small problems will
appear. But that is part of the fun :-)

> How hard is it to make this framework/plug-ins structure?
> Keep in mind that I'm only a beginner C++/Qt/KDE programmer, but willing
> to learn a lot this summer. But I guess I would need quite a lot of help
> and answers from you guys and girls with much more experience.

Just start, you'll see how hard or easy it is. Start on sf.net or berlinos.de
to get a public svn or cvs. Perhaps somebody will activly help you.

> I was thinking about targeting KDE4, because I guess it will take a bit
> longer until this KPhysics is done and because I would like to learn how
> to program for KDE4, which will also run on Mac OS and Windows and the
> more people can use KPhysics the better
>
> Is it that much harder to program for KDE4 then for KDE3. How fast are
> changes in API? Is there any history/changelog of API changes that is
> updated regularly and that I could easily follow?

I guess KDE4/Qt4 is a good choice. KDE4 is changing a lot, so perhaps a pure
Qt4-app would be better (and then port to KDE4 in 3 or 4 month). But if you
don't use multimedia (phonon) and dbus/dcop you will be "on the safe side".
Of course, even small classes in KDE can drastically change, for example 2
days ago KPixmap "died". kdelibs are updated every 2 weeks (the
kdelibs4_snapshot), so you only have to sync ever 2 or 4 weeks (depending if
you *want* to sync).

Carsten