[kde-edu]: (no subject)

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed Sep 28 19:09:27 CEST 2005

Hi Trenton,

You will at least need Qt4 and kdelibs from trunk ("HEAD" is a cvs term).
You do not have to work in the kde4 desktop.  However, there are some things
to keep in mind:

1. You should obviously not install Qt4 and kdelibs4 over your existing KDE
installation.  I installed my 4 stuff in "/home/jharris/qt4" and
"/home/jharris/kde4".

2. Once you have installed Qt4 and kdelibs-4, before you try compiling
something from trunk, you have to set some environment variables.  I suggest
you pick a konsole window to work in and enter the following (which will
leave the rest of your running KDE3 session intact):
% export QTDIR=/home/jharris/qt4
% export KDEDIR=/home/jharris/kde4
% export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib

3. If you run a kde4 application from your kde3 session, you'll note that
kdeinit-3 is stopped, and kdeinit-4 is started.  Thereafter, the kde3 session
will be extremely confused and half-broken, but you can just execute
"kdeinit" in a konsole (not the konsole you used for kde4 compiling) to fix
it.

Hmm, I seem to remember a fourth env variable to be set, but I am not
currently at my home box, so I can't check.  I'll post again if I think of
it.

hope it helps,
Jason