[kde-edu]: libscience in kdeedu

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Sat Oct 22 12:59:32 CEST 2005

Hello

I just wanted to inform you a bit about libscience.

* You find it in kdeedu/libkdeedu/libscience

* I want that library to include all classes of Kalzium which are "scientific"
and not directly KDE-related. For example:
  ** class Element (describes a chemical element)
  ** class Isotope (describes a physical isotope like C-13)
  ** class Spectrum (describes a physical spectrum like a NMR-spectrum)

* The class is able to read the file elements.xml (found in libscience/data/)
  ** elements.xml is part of the BlueObelisk-project
(http://www.blue-obelisk.org). This means that many projects share this file
(Kalzium, JMol, CDK and others). The file is updated from time to time, for
example when a new dataset is added or a error in the file is found.
Therefore, Kalzium will profit without me having to work on it ;-) On the
other hand I am trying to get all data Kalzium has and BO has not into the
file. I already added four datasets:
 *** block,
 *** nameOrigin,
 *** boilingPoint,
 *** meltingPoint.

* elements.xml is CML (Chemical Markup Language). This is an "official"
format, not invented by me.

* In case for example KStars has "scientific" classes like "Planet" or
something and they are interested to move things into libscience: You are
very welcome! This is not a Kalzium-lib, it is meant to be a general lib.
There is no dependency beside Qt4.