[kde-edu]: GUI policies and styles

CPH CP.Hennessy at openapp.biz
Tue Jan 18 18:11:44 CET 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 16:23, Trenton Carr wrote:

> > Hello!
> >
> > There is it again, the everlasting wish for a framework, that we still
> > don't
> > have. A long time ago Eva Brucherseifer made a suggestion with a kpart
> > based
> > application.
>
> Hello all!
>
> KMathTool has also been rewritten to be eventually slotted into a
> framework.
> Maybe a main window (KhtmlPart?) that has controls for smil2.0
> content(linear audio, visual) with kdeedu_part tools that become available
> when appropriate (no languages parts in a math section) and
> docking/browsable theory widgets.

SMIL is quite an interesting technology and would essentially make much of the
content platform independent (e.g. OpenOffice.org 2.0 Impress will use SMIL
to control it's slide transitions, media playing, and animations).

I think that koffice must support SMIL and SVG so that it can be compatible
with OpenOffice.org. However I am not sure of their exact plans, but it may
be interesting to ask them. We may then be able to develop SMIL/SVG
multimedia apps in fullscreen mode on that platform.

CPH