[kde-edu]: Machholz wrong position on chart

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Mon Jan 10 02:34:17 CET 2005

Hello Shawn,

Please provide more details.  Are you sure you are looking at "Machholz
(2004 Q2)" and not "Machholz 1" or "Machholz 2" (Machholz is a very
productive comet hunter!).

If you are sure you have the right comet Machholz, what coordinates does
KStars give for it (give the time, date and location also)?

I have set the time to 00:00 UT on 10 Jan 2005, and the location to
Tucson, AZ, USA.  KStars reports the following coordinates for Machholz
(2004 Q2):
03h 29m 05s, +27d 51' 24"

The JPL website
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/2004Q2.html
reports the following coordinates for the same time and date:
03h 30.43m   +27d 58.0'

They are slightly different because JPL gives geocentric coordinates
precessed to epoch 2000.0, whereas KStars reports coordinates fro the
real epoch (2005.03), as seen from the observing location.

hope this helps,
Jason

PS- in the future, you can direct KStars-specific questions to
kstars-devel at kde.org

On Sunday 09 January 2005 04:00 pm, Shawn Tayler wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've been looking throught he archive for the list and not found an
> answer to the following problem.
>
> I have downloaded the latest comet.dat file and kstars refuses to
> show Machholz in its proper position.  The data from JPL matches
> what's in the comets.dat file.  KSatrs shows the planets correctly
> for my location.  So I am befuddled.  There is nothing shown in the
> position I know that Machholz is currently occupying.  Is there some
> subtle setting somewhere that I may of missed?
>
> Shawn

KStars: Desktop Planetarium for KDE
http://edu.kde.org/kstars