[kde-edu]: Latest important news

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Feb 18 20:26:01 CET 2005

Hi all,

Here is a summary of the latest important news from the KDE project in general
and the KDE-Edu sub-project in particular.

1) svn repository
KDE will switch from CVS to svn (not in the very future so you have time to
adapt). For those who are ready to test it, here is a page that relates the
latest informations from Stephan Kulow
http://edu.kde.org/development/svn.php
You can do what you want in the current svn repository as the code will not be
kept! It is a playground for testing and getting familiar with the new
system.

2) New applications: KSimon and eqchem
http://edu.kde.org/ksimon/ and http://edu.kde.org/eqchem/
It is a Simon Says game for KDE and you can find it in the kdeplayground-edu
module. Please try it and send your comments to Albert and Danny, the 2
developers.
eqchem is a KDE application that balances chemical equations. We aim to
integrate it to Kalzium.
Please note that the kdeplayground-edu module is meant to replace kdenonbeta
for edu applications.

3) Our new artist: Danny
Please welcome Danny Allen as our new artist. He is very talented and
dedicated, has lots of ideas and put them in drawings! He fixed lots of
broken icons in kdeedu. He did a mockup for a new application: KidsPlay, see
http://edu.kde.org/kidsplay/
and he designed KSimon.
You can find Danny quite often on IRC, #kde-edu channel under the nickname of
dannya.

4) New bot in IRC channel
We have a CIA-like bot in the #kde-edu channel which copies the cvs commit
messages related to KDE-Edu to the channel. Thanks to Matthias Messmer for
this bot!
The #kde-edu channel is quite lively so feel free to join the fun and share
our ideas!

5) Freeze
We are in feature freeze and we will be in total freeze the 22nd February.
There will probably be a KDE 3.5 before 4.0. I'll keep in touch with you to
report any developments on the future releases.

Thanks for reading that long message!

Anne-Marie