[kde-edu]: Fwd: Framework Webpage! Join the fun!

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 7 18:55:04 CET 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 18:11, CPH wrote:
> On Friday 04 February 2005 12:34, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > But if you load KDE apps anyway, meaning you also load the KDE libs, do
> > you really save so much compared to starting KDE?
>
> For example I kicker, kwin, dcopserver, klauncher, kded, artsd, ksmserver,
> and kdesktop are not needed.

I think it would be possible to remove most of them from a normal KDE startup.
I am not sure using a different window manager gains you a lot as the KDE
applications already load the KDE libraries and I think KWin is pretty small
itself.

I am pretty sure that starting a KDE application always also starts the DCOP
server if it isn't running yet.

> Actually I'm interested to know why the kdeedu
> packages need kbuildsyscoca running and if they can be run without it (or
> would that improve the startup time ?)

That is the KDE core starting up, it rebuild the system config cache at least
on session startup, as you don't have a session running yet, starting the
first KDE application triggers it.

As I said running kdeinit somewhere during session startup should make the KDE
applications start faster.

If you have some time for experimentation, try to run a minimal KDE session
instead: remove the global autostart entries and maybe editing startkde to
not start KDE's session manager.

Cheers,
Kevin
--