[kde-edu]: Sugg: Framework for Science Meters

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Tue Dec 6 14:34:22 CET 2005

Am Dienstag 06 Dezember 2005 14:20 schrieb Carsten Niehaus:
> Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 14:09 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
> > Also popping into my mind is ksimus datarecorder as one possible
> > frontend. As it comes to realtime data, acoustic recorders could be
> > another approach.
> >
> > What is your comments on this? Should we forward this idea to
> > kde-devel?
>
> There are problems:
> 	Which developer would code it?

hands up! who wants to become famous ;)

> 	Would the developer have physical access to such devides?
> 	- if not: How can he test the code?

There should be clear interfaces (API) to plugins. Maybe simple get
methods on
- name (e.g. "Temperature")
- unit (e.g. "mm")
- range
- scaling
- value
- interval

> 	Do the vendors of the devices have open APIs?
> 	- (the answer is no in most cases. One german company has a public
> interface only for Borland Delphie, no free licence)
>
> 	Are there standarddevices worldwide? If not we'd need the
> application with hundrets of interfaces.

If there is a containing surface, there soon will be solutions, I hope.

> I am sorry, but this just won't work I think. I thought about making
> something for the german devices (scassylab or something like that)
> but the company didn't even answer my mails.

I know, reverse engineering _OR_ alternative products with free API are
the most feasible way. (How about Dr. Tux?)