[kde-edu]: kvoctrain: entering data

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Tue Nov 2 19:14:21 CET 2004

Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently translating the KVoctrain handbook into
> dutch.
>
> First step is trying to understand the application :),
> it is very complex; to be honest I find it a bit
> overwhelming. It seems to be a real challenge for
> those who want to write content for it that actually
> uses all the features. I have been looking through the
> existing files and most vocabularies out there are
> either very limited or only work with a part of the
> functionality of KVoctrain. Comments anyone?

I couldn't agree more. I'm trying to grasp the program myself by
updating parts of it to newer KDE technologies and I'm discovering
several problems along the way. More on that later.

The positive note is that I'm about two-thirds done with converting
KVocTrain to a xml-based GUI. I'm done with everything except the
dynamically created menus. In the end it should be possible to get rid
of a series of callback function and thus making it easier to understand
the flow of the program.

> Now my question. There are some example files for
> English/Japanese. Interesting because I would like to
> try something similar for Chinese, but I can't figure
> out how you enter these characters. From the docs I
> understand that KVoctrain is unicode aware, but when I
> open one of these Japanese files I can't find a dialog
> where the actual font used for the characters is
> shown. Is this normal? Is there someone who
> understands how this works?

I'm not sure, but I think there are two fonts you can specify in the
options, one for the editor, and one for pronunciation. I will get to
this when it's time to finish the keyboard layout switching code.

Thanks,
Peter