[kde-edu]: KMathTool

Birgit Schulz schulz.b at gmx.de
Thu May 20 07:38:38 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 17. Mai 2004 12:41 schrieb M2George:
> Hello All
>
> >on 13 May 2004 17:09:05 -0400
> >Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote
> >
> >yes, what we are saying here is that the concept is very good.
> >It's not totally dead as a guy sent me a patch and I did not commit it yet
> > (I have to work on it a bit). I don't know if this guy intends to work
> > more on it though...
>
> I'm the guy and my name is Trenton. I did submit a patch but have had no
> feedback. I have been working on KMathTool and my aim is to make KMathTool
> into a Math's tutoring system. I've been busy incorporating a Theory Widget
> that displays the relevant theory and application of the mathematical
> section in question. I will also add the following sections to KMathTool.
Hi Trenton,

I'm the first who started with KMathTool. But I found out, that I'm not that
good programmer to start a good KMathTool. I'm Math-Teacher and I'm looking
for a tool that can help me to do me work.

It's fine that you are expanding KMathTool. If I'm not too busy, I will try to
help you. And I can translate the Theory-Widget's into german.

>     Trig - 2D, 3D, Area Rule, Cosine Rule, Compound Angles, Equations,
> Graphs, Identities, Sine Rule.
>
>     Alg - Algebraic Fractions, Absolute Values, Calculus/Differentiation,
> Compound Inc Dec, Exponents, Functions, Hyperbola, Inequalities, Inverses,
> Linear Programming, Logs, Improved Parabola, Quadratic Equations, Quadratic
> Theory, Simultaneous Equations, Mensuration, Products, Surds, Series,
> Speed, Improved Straight Lines.
>
>     Geo -  Analytical Geometry, Circles , Concurrency, Similarity.

Cool ... very cool.

> I'm also struggling to find a method that will display text with graphics
> that I can animate. I want to use this to visually demonstrate the
> mathematical methods i.e.: Fractions with Equations, the learners really
> understand when they can see that to get rid of  the fraction you divide
> the whole of the left and the whole of the right by the LCD of the
> Fractions. It makes a huge impact in their understanding if they can see
> this in action.  This same method works even better with Geometry. I have
> been trying to use HTML with GIF anim's but it seems rather crude.
hmmm ... I once used little gif'-Picture to show how to expand fractions. It's
a bit difficult to make this pictures but I had used a programm at
vector-prgramm like draw at Windows.

For geometry-pciture it might be better to use the functions og Kig!? Even to
make the user to be able to try out a little bit.

Best regards ... Birgit Lachner