[kde-edu]: KLatin

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Mon May 10 03:44:23 CEST 2004

Hi George,

On Sunday 09 May 2004 07:59 am, George Wright wrote:

> Seeing as the first alpha of 3.3 is to be released on 23rd May, I would
> dearly like to get KLatin in this release.
>
> Anne-Marie told me on IRC that it is not KDE-Edu material as its vocab
> section does basically what KVocTrain does. However, I feel that the other
> three sections (Verbs, Grammar and Revision) can not be replaced by other
> KDE-Edu apps as Latin is taught very differently to any other language
> (except Classical Greek). And of course, no Latin program is complete
> without a vocabulary tester, hence why I threw that in.

First, I have not tested KLatin. It seems to come down to if you are using the
kvtml file format or not. If you are, can you remove the vocabulary tester
part and let that be handled by KVocTrain? If you are not, is there a reason
why you can't use that file format?

> In the grand scheme of things, though, I would like KLatin to become a lot
> like the Windows program, "Latin without Tears", and also to incorporate
> support for Classical Greek. The webpage URL for Latin without Tears is at
> http://www.doctor-flynn.demon.co.uk/lwt1.htm. It has a lot of
> Classics-specific functionality, such as sentence analysis, passages for
> translation, vocabulary etc.

Looking at the web pages for this program I can appreciate the special
functionality for Latin that such a program has. Since there are other
programs in KDE geared towards specific languages I can't see why there
wouldn't be a place in KDE for the Latin/Greek-specific parts of KLatin.

> Any comments on the future of KLatin? I would be very disappointed if the
> last three years of work (in between school) was a total waste of time.

It's not a wasted effort. There are always other ways your program can be
distributed.

Thanks,
Peter