[kde-edu]: Importing KWordQuiz

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Tue May 4 22:55:40 CEST 2004

Scott Wheeler wrote:

> That's true for context menus, not toolbars.  The goal is really to have the
> most relevant stuff there -- not to have everything possible.  And to be
> clear I wasn't suggesting hiding it for just the quiz mode -- given the
> number of buttons there already (for a relatively simple app) I was just
> suggesting defaulting to it being hidden in general.  By default KWordQuiz
> shows more menu bar items than KMail and Konqueror combined.  ;-)

I'll remove some of the buttons...

>>I'll provide more sensible defaults. I think the user should be
>>presented with the toolbar to know that it's there.
>

> I think it would probably be better to just add a button for configuring the
> "Special Keys" in the default tool bar.  Still visible, but a lot less screen
> real estate.

I'll consider it... I might just hide the toolbar by default as it
emphasizes language too much.

>>The columns used to be entitled Language 1 and Language 2. Based on our
>>previous discussions I have removed/changed all references to "language"
>>to better reflect that the program is not only for language learning.
>

> Well the kind of fake arrows really don't indicate anything clearly.  I think
> an organization more like this would probably be more clear:
>
> Card Order...
>  - Random order quiz
>  - Ordered quiz
>
> In Quiz Mode Show Me...
>  - The values from Column 1
>  - The values from Column 2
>  - A mix of the columns
>
> Also I think defaults that are better than "Column 1" and "Column 2" should be
> found.  I used "front" and "back" in FlashKard since I was trying to
> emphasize the visual metaphor.  "Question" and "Answer" could also work...

This is one thing I've always wanted to get away from. For me there is
really no front/question or back/answer. I want it to work equally well
  in either direction. One of the things I wanted to improve from
FlashKard was to have the ability to name the columns. The worst is
vocabulary trainers that enforce one particular language as the "base"
language.

  >>>*) A progress bar would be nice.
>>
>>Showing the progress of what?
>

> Showing the progress through the quiz.  See FlashKard.

You really need three bars then, one for overall progress, one for
correct, and one for errors. That would IMHO waste screen space. I
prefer the current numerical representation (which can be set to show
percentages).

>>>QTimer::singleShot()).
>>
>>I don't like timers.
>

> Why?

What I was getting at is that I don't want anything that gives the
impression that the program is unresponsive.

In more general terms I like it when the framework provides events that
can be used to check things or update the UI. I really miss Delphi's
OnIdle event for updating menus and toolbars for example.

>>Should the default be that you have to click the check button?
>

> If you're not going to use a timer or switch to a push button then yes.  The
> problem is right now that when clicking a radio button a user doesn't expect
> immediate action -- that's what a push button does.  It's a little confusing
> to have a radio button react immediately.

I'll change the default. I agree it may be confusing at first but it's
based on user requests (you are the first to argue against) and allows
for quickly moving through the quiz.

> Sorry to be so pedantic on all of this stuff -- but precisely the reason that
> I created FlashKard was because I thought the only alternatives were overly
> complicated -- so as KWordQuiz will be replacing it I'd like for the GUI to
> stay similarly intuitive (despite more complex things happening in the
> background).

I agree completely with you and it's good to step back and reconsider if
something really improves or only makes it more complicated.

Thanks,
Peter