[kde-edu]: Questions about KNewStuff

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Sat Mar 13 14:01:36 CET 2004

On March 13, 2004 06:20 am, Niehaus Carsten wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the next version of Kalzium I will rewrite the Quiz-stuff. I got an
> offer of 800 questions by a german teacher and would like to add these
> questions to Kalzium. Together with the old questions we will have about
> 900 questions.
> This is of course to much to be included into kalzium.po (the
> translators can't take that much work); therefore I would like to use
> KNewStuff for the quesions.
>
> I have two questions:
> a) When is a good startingpoint to code the KNewStuff-code in Kalzium?
> Is the API stable? When will other apps start?
KLettres and KHangMan already have it. I suggest you get KLetttres from cvs
HEAD. When you run KLettres, you will have the possibility to add the Italian
language on the fly. Try it and you'll see it works very well.
The more apps use it the sooner KNewStuff will be put in kdelibs.
> b) What kind of format should I use for the questions? I used a simple
> format and KSimpleConfig in KDE 3.2 and KDE 3.1 but it might be better
> to use XML with tags like
>
> <question grade="easy">The question...</question>
> <answer type="correct">This is the correct answer</answer>
> <answer type="wrong">THis is a wrong answer</answer>
>
> But that might make problems if somebody would like to contribute more
> questions or a translation of the german questions but doesn't want to
> do it in XML (AFAIK KBabel can't handle XML).
In that case you'all have to extract the data from the xml file and put them
in a dummy cpp file.
Translating xml should not be a problem though as i18n teams translate the
docbook User Hanbook.

annma