[kde-edu]: freeduc and similar projects

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 11:02:33 CEST 2004

Hello Andrea,

> > After this I had some sort of dutch system, but
> with
> > many strings still untranslated.
>
>     This is almost natural since the cd was mainly
> oriented
>      to spanish, french, english and italian public.
>
>      In Ofset we are happy if someone could take
> care
>      localization in other languages :-)

I'll think about it.

Especially

>     This will be fixed in the coming *modular* new
> edition.

if this modular edition gives one the choice of
programs. I think that one of the problems of
providing a linux-system geared towards education is
that you have to cater for a large and diverse
audience. In fact you have several client-segments.

Age groups is certainly one axis. Type of school,
subject matter is another.

There has been a suggestion on this list of making a
program that would be some sort of general framework
for teaching, turoring, testing, etc. with plugings or
parts available depending on what you want to do. And
with content available on servers. That is the way to
go forward I think for general teaching of subject
matter.

But a linux-cd for education could also present a
collection of software that could be useful for a
certain group. I.e. it could be geared towards
students in computer sciences containing the necessary
tool chains + ide + documentation to program in
several languages. Or a CD with an office suit,
browser, typesetting software and other stuff to write
papers.

Anyway, these are just some ideas.

> > Overall I find this CD very disappointing. The
> > presentation looks nice, but is really unusable!
>
> This is a bit exceding :-)

Ok, this was a bit too strong, but I was disappointed.

> As Maurizio Paolini pointed out maybe you
> will be more adequate for eduKnoppix :-)

I will have a look at this and see if it can serve as
a basis for trying to put something together for
myself. I would like to try my hand at this.

Regards and thanks for your reaction

Marc