[kde-edu]: Latin Dictionary

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Sat Dec 18 18:34:04 CET 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 17:27, Josef Spillner wrote:
> Am Samstag, 18. Dezember 2004 18:05 schrieb Reuben Sutton:
> > I'm sure it wouldn't be quite that hard to translate as there are only
> > single words, which i would assume is easier than translating phrases.
>
> Using a chain translation, this should be possible in an automated fashion.
> Using a en2de list for example, which is part of the 'trans-*' packages
> (/usr/share/trans/...), the above could be useful even for non-English
> speakers.
> But then klatin would need a mechanism for this.
> And even if only single words are translated, the quality will be smaller
> for longer chains, and the speed lower (trans-de-en has 160 000 entries).

The English entries for the dictionary can not be translated into other
languages and then linked with the original Latin. Any translations of the
dictionary should be done directly from the original Latin by a Latin
scholar. This is because a lot of words in Latin do not have an explicit
translation and tie in with very specific uses of an English word. Therefore
an automated translation such as this would be pointless.

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org