[kde-edu]: KVocTrain - NEW maintainer and wish

Markus Büchele Markus.Buechele at web.de
Wed Nov 19 22:06:07 CET 2003

Hi folks,

I am an English teacher at the technical college of Bad Nauheim in Germany. A
colleague and I are working on a long-term project at our school on Linux and
KVocTrain.

Since September we have been using KVocTrain in some of our classes and are
about to introduce it on a large scale. We are preparing a knoppix-CD, which
includes our basic vocabulary English-German (1330 words).

In order to enable an even wider and regular use of KVocTrain in class, we
would like to use the application for vocabulary tests as well.

What is lacking in KVocTrain, however, is a test screen that does not allow
the user to access any help until he/she has been asked each word of a lesson
once.

What is also required is a screen that shows the results: the total number of
words asked and the percentage of correct and the incorrect words. In
KPercentage there is implemented something very similar already.

Unfortunatelly I am not a programmer - in fact, this is the reason why you are
reading this email. I would like to ask for help in two ways:

1. KVOCTRAIN needs a NEW MAINTAINER. Some days ago I told the former
maintainer Arnold Ewald about my wished. He replied that he had stopped
maintaining TVoctrain about one year ago. He hadn't even ported it to KDE 3.
He told me that it had been done by someone who was active on this mailing
list. Is there someone around who has the necessary programming skills and
would like to enable KDE to gain a strong foothold in everyday life in a
German college and beyond, perhaps?

2. Who would be able and willing and has the time to implement the TEST SCREEN
that we would like to have included in KVocTrain?

If you feel interested, please do not hesitate to contact me. Maybe it is a
good idea to get in touch with Arnold Ewald at  kvoctrain at ewald-arnold.de  as
well.

I would be very happy, if you could help us to further improve KDE and
KVocTrain. Or perhaps you know someone who would be able to help?

By the way - we are adding example sentences to most of the words. After that
we would like to publish our vocabulary file on the KVocTrain webpage.

So, please, help, if you know a bit of C++. Thank you very much in advance

Yours,

Markus Büchele