[kde-edu]: Kalzium-Rewrite

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Sun Dec 7 14:50:17 CET 2003

Hi all

I am currently rewriting Kalzium. I have some reasons for this, eg:

1.) The current code is a mess
2.) For further extending I need a better (--> new) datastructure
3.) I want to offer more the just one PSE-widget. For that I need a better
class-structure

I plan to do something like this:

typedef QValueList<Element*> EList;
class Data
{
	public:
		Data();
		~Data();

		/*
		 	This list contains 110 Elements. A Element has all the data
		 	Kalzium knows about the chemical elements.
		*/
		static EList ElementList;

		/*
			some methods to access the data
		*/
};

My problem is that I don't really know how to do that job. My code works so
far, but only for a non-static EList. That means that the list is created a
lot of times. I wanted to create a global const static Data-object so that I
can access that object from everywhere and it is only created once. But that
simply doesn't work. I would like to hear some input how I should handle this
problem.
In short: How do I create a datastructure which is easy to access and doesn't
wast to much memory? Is DCOP a smart way? I never used it...

There is already a blog online: http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/214

I hope to get some feedback,
	Carsten