[kde-edu]: KVocTrain - examination screen - attached files (I forgot ; -)

Markus Büchele Markus.Buechele at web.de
Wed Dec 3 21:43:20 CET 2003

Hallo Karl-Heinz, Samuel and Peter,

I have finished my draft for the examination screen. I have to say that QT
Designer is an outstanding tool. I really enjoyed drawing the form. It' so
intuitive. Simply amazing. The most difficult part was actually to get the
designer started in SUSE 9.0, because I didn't have a menu entry. But anyway,
here we go.

I used the same texts as in the English verion of KVocTrain. Nevertheless
(being German I have to be careful about that ;-), some words seem to sound a
bit unusual to me. Could some native English speaker have a look at
KVocTrain's texts, please?

Before I forget: Could you, Karl-Heinz, Samuel and perhaps Peter get in touch
in order to co-ordinate the programming efforts, please?

Examination Screen
===============

Textfields
------------

TextLabels and LineEdits have the same functions as in the query screen,
except the progress and time counters. While the Progress counter shows the
number of words dealt with compared to the total number of words as a
progress bar, the time counter does this with the time spent compared to the
total time.

Buttons
----------

Don't know: go to next word and clear translation textfield
Next word: go to next word
End exam: go to examination result screen
"the four arrows": jump back to first word / go back one word / go forward one
word / jump to last word

An examination should ideally go like that:

1. Configuration options before start:
	- English-German / German-English / or randomly changing (as possible for the
	  query)
	- seconds before Close button in Examination Result Screen becomes visible
	- seconds per word in examination (sth. similar exists for queries)
2. The words of the selected unit(s) are put in a random order.
3. The person examined enters the translations. Pressing Enter or the
    appropriate buttons brings him/her to the next word.
4. The person examined can jump in between the words by using the arrow
    buttons.
   The translations already entered stay in the translation field even if the
   person has not pressed enter for that word before.
5. Examining ends when the time is up or after pressing the End exam button.

Examination Result Screen
====================

Close Button
-----------------

The Close button should NOT show up beforer a specified time that can be
configured in the options menu of KVocTrain.

Textfields
------------

The LineEdits show the absolute and percentage numbers of correct/incorrect
words of the selected unit(s).

Last but NOT LEAST: When starting the examination mode, opening a second
KVocTrain has to be denied. A witty pupil would certainly not take long to
discover that short cut to good results ;-)
Full-screen mode for the examination screen wouldn't be a bad idea either,
don't you think?

I hope that this clarifies most of your questions about the design. If you
have doubts, problems, etc., please feel free to ask.

I'm very happy that I've had your help so far and I hope that we (well, mostly
you from now on) will create another killer-app for KDE. Imagine, how easy it
will be for language teachers to force their pupils to learn their vocabulary
- of course the pupils will profit from that as well ;-), especially as they
can train at home under examination conditions!

Thanks a lot in advance - hey, I'm a bit euphoric thinking about our project
right now. :-)

Markus