Enhancement req. Kate. Color coding of code sections

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Dec 31 11:49:22 GMT 2021

Hi Per,

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 15:12, Per Funke <per.funke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I've experienced a wish for  optionally setting the background color
> differently for different code sections (in washed out colors).
> When you go back to old[e] code (and perhaps even new) to try to get a
> grip on where a sections start and end, looking for something
> particular, background colors could make it easier/faster to limit the
> search, areawise.
> The coloring could exist in the mini-map or in the code itself, the
> main idea however, is that I can set it myself. It would be sufficient
> having two available colors resulting in a sort of pajamas effect.
>
> Another way would be to mark these areas with some Kate specific
> symbol and choosing "View ..." to make it appear. Or perhaps not.
>
> Like:
> Begin: how to catch fish   [in light blue]
> ...400 lines of code..
> End how to catch
>
> Begin: how to fillet fish     [in light red] or [standard background]
> ...500 lines of code...
> END: how to fillet
>
> I'm just  throwing the idea up in the air. Do what you like with it.
> Have a nice day!
>
> I presume you mean this for Kate, right?
As the header of the mailing list states this is the mailing list for
people writing documentation in KDE, what made you choose this particular
mailing list? I am really curious about this as we get wrongly addressed
emails to this list every now and then and would like to sort out why this
happens.

FWIW: if you want to file a wish to the Kate developers you should use
their mailing list: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kwrite-devel

The kate-editor.org website has a lot of additional information on how to
contribute or contact the developers, like https://kate-editor.org/join-us/

Regards, Myriam
--
Pronouns: she/her
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community: